Just in Case it Matters to You
- ‘SUCCESSION PLANNING’ IS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT MANAGING TALENT to motivate & develop careers, while optimizing and protecting a company’s productivity, profitability & stability. Unless approached effectively, however, Succession Planning can be perceived as threatening: (1) to key employees who “fear that their skills & experiences are no longer relevant to the business, or who expect the process to be subjective, slanted to ‘favorites,’ and thus inequitable; (2) to Leaders, by triggering feelings of mortality as they ponder longevity and post-retirement identity.” DCG have decades of experience in applying practical and non-threatening approaches to this critical area. [GENERATIONAL INTERCHANGES – 7/17/19]
- Z-GENERATION ASPIRATIONS: The emphasis of western educators on S.T.E.M. careers is quite obviously lagging, and absence of kids’ stimulation for science is disconcerting. A recent Harris Poll survey of 3,000 children in America, Britain & China found: (1) Around half of Chinese kids aspire to grow up becoming an Astronaut or Teacher, compared to 25% of U.S./U.K. kids who say aspire to teach and only 11% to be an Astronaut; (2) Meanwhile 30% of U.S./U.K. kids aspire to be a ‘Vlogger/YouTuber’ – a career making videos on the internet; (3) Over 95% of Chinese kids think “humans will live in outer space or another planet, and would like to go themselves,” versus around 2/3 of U.S./U.K. children. [ARSTECHNICA.COM – 7/16/19]
- NEWEST A.I. TECHNOLOGY INCLUDES A “FLAVOR-IDENTIFYING ‘E-TONGUE’ that can identify liquids online through electrochemical sensors, which an app compares to a database of ‘chemical footprints.’ IBM’s “hyper-taste device is sensitive enough to accurately distinguish between different brands of bottled water… useful in identifying counterfeit drinks (like wine) and for medical applications tasting unsavory bio-fluids for health-related diagnoses.” [THE WEEK – 7/19/19]
- AND NEWEST MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY CAN NOW RESTORE PARTIAL SIGHT FOR BLIND PEOPLE, with a “video camera attached to glasses which sends footage to electrodes implanted in the visual cortex of the brain.” Developed by specialists from UCLA and Baylor Medical College, the process & device is a “complete paradigm shift” for treating people who become blind (as opposed to being born blind) by directly implanting images and bypassing the eye & optic nerve. [THE GUARDIAN – 7/13/19]
- SANCTUARY CITIES AND COMMUNITIES WITH I.C.E. DETENTION CENTERS ARE IN FOR A WINDFALL BONUS. With judicial decisions disallowing a 2020 Census question regarding citizenship now encouraging illegal migrants to be ‘counted,’ and the Census Bureau’s “long-standing practice of counting people where they are found,” billions of dollars in federal funds for over 300 programs (including Medicare, Medicaid, Head Start and Nutrition Assistance) will be allocated – over the next ten years – based strictly on population, irrespective of legal status. In some counties, the excess funding from illegal migrant counts will be used “to teach them English, train & put adults to work, provide their children free lunches at school, and turn them into (state or local) voters.” [WALL STREET JOURNAL – 7/17/19]
- THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK: “The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years, during which these nations always progressed: From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to complacency; From complacency to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.” How do you feel about where America is headed today?
Foreign purchases of U.S. homes, especially by Chinese, has majorly contributed to the multi-year rise in prices. But last year foreign purchases dropped 36%, with sales to Chinese buyers dropping by 45%.
Nancy Pelosi’s earlier position on illegal immigration is (or was) exactly the same as President Trump’s: https://www.theblaze.com/news/video-surfaces-showing-nancy-pelosi-advocating-republican-policy-on-border-crisis?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily-Newsletter__AM-Final%202019-07-21&utm_term=TheBlaze%20Daily%20AM%20-%20last%20270%20days